A. Programme Information
The Bachelor of Arts in Film and Video Production course is designed to give students the opportunity to explore the full potential of digital cinema and provides professional practice to prepare learners for a career in the film Industry. The BA (Hons) Film & Video Production programme is mounted in collaboration with Board of Investment Mauritius (BOI) , Mauritius Film Development Corporation (MFDC) and the Mauritius Broadcasting Corporation (MBC).
This three-year programme of study covers the different aspects of film production from pre-production phase to post-production. During the first stages of the course, students will learn the essential video production skills from scriptwriting to filming and editing. In upcoming stages, students will learn to refine and improve their film making skills through film theory and the production process. By the end of the course students will have directed and produced at least two short films and enhanced a video with special effects.
The recent increasing need of video content for the web & film industry provides new opportunities for the sector of video and film production including Post-Production Editors, Technical Coordinators, Lighting Designers, Color Graders, Digital Imaging technicians, Producers and Directors, amongst others.
B. Programme Aims
Digital technologies now offer opportunities for independent filmmakers to produce at lower costs for corporate promotions, events and festivals. The recent increasing need of video content for the web & film industry provides new opportunities for the sector of video and film Production. The aim of the programme is to:
- Provide students with the necessary skills to work in film and video production sector;
- To build and enforce student’s creativity and skills to produce high quality stories;
- To provide an exposure to the environment and workflow of digital video allowing students to operate at different levels from pre-production to post-production;
- To develop and simulate student’s skills to direct and produce films;
- To operate as entrepreneurs.
C. Programme Objectives
After successful completion of the Programme, the graduate will be able to:
- Understand the whole workflow of digital film production from pre to post production;
- Understand and apply the principles for creative scriptwriting and story telling;
- Operate at post-production level for video editing, color grading, application of Special Effects (sfx) and sound design;
- Produce films, short videos and documentaries;
- Handle and operate the camera properly during production phase;
- Understand and work with lighting for different scenes and situations;
- Understand and work with compositing and keying techniques like green screen for film production;
- Understand, design and plan the integration of 3D Animation and Special Effects (sfx) in the digital video workflow.