MSc (Eng) Renewable Energy
Unleashing the RE Revolution Leading to Energy Transition
Renewable Energy (RE) represents the solution to increasing energy demands of growing populations & developing societies. Further to COVID-19 pandemic, unprecedented climate crisis & the crucial challenge of reducing the use of fossil fuels, Mauritius has set a target to achieve 60% of RE production in the national energy mix while also phasing out use of coal by 2030 in the quest to abate greenhouse gas emission.
Green jobs are to be viewed as the harbinger of wider sustainable economic growth whereby RE technologies are on the brink of creating a ‘new industrial revolution’. Their pervasive impact will unleash a wave of innovation which will transform the economy, environment and quality of life.
This programme, the first of its kind in Mauritius and Africa, provides graduates both theoretical & practical skills needed to pursue their careers in the growing field of RE technology. It will eventually help them in harnessing sustainable solutions to climate change and energy security.
- This programme has been developed in consultation with leading organisations in Energy & RE Sector in Mauritius and abroad and the state-of-the-art content is tailored to the current needs of these industries.
- A wide variety of RE-related career options, including Design, Installation, Operation & Maintenance of RE (Grid-Connected, Stand-Alone & Hybrid) Systems, Design of RE Systems in Construction Industry & Architecture, Electric Vehicle RE Charging Systems, Energy Efficiency & Auditing, Standards & Policy Management, Project Management, Building Services & Maintenance, Consultancies, Education & Training and RE-related Research. Graduates can also apply their acquired knowledge to start their own ventures.
- • A recognised Bachelor of Engineering in Electrical, Electronics, Telecommunication, Mechanical, Mechatronics, Chemical & Environmental or equivalent discipline acceptable to UTM or,
- • A recognised Bachelor of Science or Technology, provided applicant has 3 years of professional experience in relevant disciplines such as photovoltaics, renewable energy & related fields or,
- • Applicants having qualifications other than above Entry Requirements & mature applicants having a strong background of relevant work experience, but with limited qualifications may also be considered according to APL/APEL policy of UTM.